Your group will create a 4-sided diorama that includes a 3-D setting, character analysis, animal extravaganza, and a favorite scene from the book with a summary of that scene.
Get a direction sheet of how to fold your diorama background or ask your teacher for help.
1. Setting: You must develop a 3-D design and also a descriptive paragraph that describes the setting. Remember a setting tells the place and also when a story takes place. You are NOT retelling the story here, you are describing what the setting LOOKS LIKE. Write a draft of the paragraph and then EACH member should proofread and edit the draft. Once everyone edits and initials the draft, then you can start making that portion of the project.
2. Character analysis: The main character, Karana, changes throughout the novel. Describe her character's personality and importance to the novel. *If you choose the dialogue jacket or Venn Diagram, this could could give you ideas.Write a draft of the character analysis and then EACH member should proofread and edit the draft. Once everyone edits and initials the draft, then you can start that portion of the project.
3. Animal extravaganza: Pick an animal from the story (sea otter, devil fish, or cormorant) and research information about it. The diorama should show the animal in its natural habitat and it should be covered with material or pictures that illustrate the natural habitat of the animal. You may put a statue or construction paper design of your animal. You may include pictures or natural materials that show what the animal ate, hunted, and the animal's home. Then write a paragraph to describe the animal's appearance, its eating habits and also describe their habitat.
You may visit any of the following sites which will give you information about many of the animals Karana found on her island.
- Zoology Internet Resource Guide
- Underwater World This site links to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- San Diego Zoo This site links directly to the world famous San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park.
- Sea World This site links to Sea World and Busch Gardens. There is a quick information index to land and water animals.
- Sealife This site has questions/answers to learn about animal life on the island.
4. Favorite Scene: You will pick a favorite scene from the book and recreate the scene in the diorama. You will also need to write a summary of that scene. Remember to include the who, what, when, where, and why.
BE CREATIVE... HAVE FUN... But remember you are working as a team and everyone must do their part.